Saturday, September 1, 2007

Painting and Smashed Fingers...

Well we have reassembled ourselves for another attack on the bathroom. You remember the one; the pictures from JUNE. Yes, that was the last time that a full fledged effort was invested into that small but important room. I have nearly forgotten that the room was once a full service facility - now the basement bath, with no flashy finishes, serves us well.

So what's with the title? Well, yesterday I began the quest to paint the trim in the bathroom - I started with sanding (I like to sand to hopefully ensure the beauty coat does peel off at its earliest convenience). I was working to sand the window. Yes, the window - with its two sliding units... You can already feel the pain, can't you :) I was having trouble pushing the the upper pane down so I determined that I needed to raise the lower and pull the upper down from the bottom. This is when I wrapped my hands around the bottom of the lower pane and confidently and swiftly raised the pane until my fingernails prevented the window from going any higher! At this point the PAIN began. I groaned and grunted, holding my right hand, I went to my knees. When I decided the pain wasn't that bad (this took some mental exercise to believe), I looked and saw that my #2 and #3 fingernails already showed a small purple spot and good ol' #3 was well pealed to the cuticle and bleeding. After treatment I was back to sanding, careful not to squeeze the sanding sponge too much as my favored sanding hand was tender.

The update is that today I am doing great with little discomfort (some while typing). Oh, and I am sure to keep my nails :)

At this time I'd like to recognize my wonderful Wife and Gift from Our Master for her thoughtfulness in the purchase of two fine pipe wrenches for me this day at a garage sale. They are 18 and 14 inches with easy adjustment because of an integrated spring mechanism. Why are these so special? Because they will be assisting with the remainder of the galvanized pipe removal. Adios, rusty pipe dweller-you have met your match! ~ka

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stop!! I am wincing in pain from the window incident! I will never go in that bathroom without thinking of what my girl went through to sand that woodwork! Keep an eye on those nails and please make sure those tetanus shots are up to date!

........................

........................

........................

........................