Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Wednesday Reflections - Day 15 Together

The kids are napping and Karl decided to lay down too. I could probably lay down but am enjoying these quiet moments where I can reflect and check in on the rest of the world.

I am feeling cooped up because we haven't really gotten out in a couple of days minus a 30 minute trip to the store and ATM - where we bought Pampers & ice cream to celebrate our 2 weeks together. We are pretty limited on outings because of how long it takes to get all five of us ready in the morning and the time it takes to eat breakfast and then having to be back for lunch and naps. If we go anywhere after naps, it is also limited because of having to be in before dark/6pm latest and then they have this traffic-control law where certain drivers cannot drive at certain times. Thankfully, in about 30 minutes (no, they don't give us much advance notice here) we will take off to go to an open market where they hopefully sell crafts. It will be really nice to get out in the fresh air - it is cooler and breezier today so that will be a nice change.

Thanks to all who have written encouraging emails and comments. Please keep the messages coming so we know you are out there and reading our posts and that this isn't a total waste of time!

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

I continue to enjoy your website!! I am so glad that you are feeling more settled as a family. Maybe you could do craft projects with the girls. Do they have libraries? Love, Rachelle

Dan and Karen said...

It's easy to begin to feel a little confined after a couple of weeks. Getting everyone ready to go places is certainly alot more work. We did alot of walking. Many times just around a block or two. When I was doing a scrapbook of our trip recently I realized how much of that we did when I had 3 or 4 pages or just pictures where we were taking a walk or going to a small park.
Glad to see things are beginning to settle down. It really is alot of "work" that first week or two just trying to get to know each other a little and figure out how this being a family of 5 is going to work.
I enjoy seeing the pictures and progress each day. Keep up the good work!
Karen

Wendi and Benjamin Wood said...

We're out here and we're reading!!! Don't stop the posts!!!

I so totally understand where you are coming from -feeling stuck in a room! We were in Florencia 11 long days and it seemed the room was getting smaller as the days drug by! There were moments I felt I was going insane, but then it was all washed away by sweet kisses or "te amo's" and that made it all worth it! May you have many of those te amo's...

You're children are beautiful! I think you guys make a fabulous family! You are on day 15! Can you believe it--Two weeks? Wow, and you're almost outta there? Before you know it, you'll be on your way back to Bogota! and then home!

Don't stop the posts! We enjoy them. Many of the Yahoo CHI ladies prayed for you and the family in the prayer grp on Monday night, too. So, we are out here, and it's not useless...keep the posts & pics a'comin'!!!

janine said...

Hey, Julie,
I continue to check your blog 5 times a day! I love all the pictures and posts . . . so keep writing! When my boys see your little guy they always say, "I want to meet him!" It's very cute. And Shirley has completely fallen in love with your little girls . . . she always tells me how cute they are!

We will be on vacation next week, but if I get near a computer, I will check on you all!

hugs and love,
janine

Anonymous said...

Julie, it's so nice to hear from you guys everyday - we know what to pray for and also see answered prayer. Glad you will be able to get out today and do something fun together. It is so cold here, feels like 5 degrees even though it's around 15 :) and we are supposed to get snow tomorrow. Can't do much in this weather. Warm weather sounds so good about now. The Bennetts come home tonight - we can't wait to hear news of you guys coming home as well. What a fun day that will be! Not too much longer! Praying for you! Keep those posts coming! :)

Jill Phillips said...

Rest assured I am glued to the computer checking your news each day! What a joy to watch as your family is knit together into a God-honoring unit. I shake my head each time I read about a struggle your facing ... we brought our children home from the hospital one at a time, 3 and half years apart, they were of course very small and had simple needs ... and we did this with only TWO. I can't imagine adding THREE in a day with varying ages and personalities with complex needs AND maintaining my sanity!? Praise God for His provision, strength, and goodness. You are a testimony of God's grace. We're praying for you! -Jill & Brian

Anonymous said...

I have never met you all but have learned about your experience through the CHI Yahoo group that I just joined a few weeks ago. It's been wonderful to read about your experiences each and every day. I especially apprecaite the acknowledgements of challenges that you are facing. It helps me to feel more prepared for when we get our referral. Thanks for sharing all that you have. Your children are absolutely precious and blessed to have such wonderful, caring parents. We will continue to pray for you on Monday nights!

Cheryl said...

we are all in here with you, girl!!! You're doing GREAT!!!! Keep up the postin'.

ALWAYS thinking about you!!!
Love, Cheryl

Anonymous said...

We love your posts..so keep them coming. We spent one month in a hotel room in Monteria so we sympathize. We couldn't wait to get home but once home we wished our routine and all our family time we had in Colombia. So enjoy the time. Your kids are beautiful and you all look so happy together. We are so happy for you guys.

Deanna & Angelica Willett

Anonymous said...

I have to tell you I have become a little "addicted" to seeing if you have updated your page. Your story shows me how God is working in lives of people I am connected to. There is nothing neater than being able to see God work in your family. Being a parent is such a vague job. It's hard to know exactly what needs to be done when, etc. But fortunately for us, God gave us all we need to know and the rest...well, it'll happen when it happens. Just keep loving each other and loving the kids and you'll be back in COLD Peoria before you know it!

Love,
Kris and Gregg McClelland

dj said...

We are definitely reading your posts and appreciate hearing how to pray for you specifically! Wish you had been at the dinner table with us tonight. . .we served peas and really could have used Karl's help. We tried doing the "yum, yum" routine he suggested at your shower and it didn't work! Perhaps Karl would have been more enthusiastic and the girls would have jumped at the chance to try the green things! :) We're eager to see you in Peoria again!
Love, The Hodges

Laura S said...

The best way to figure out if people are reading...don't post for a day! You'll hear all about it!! LOL!!

But seriously don't stop posting. Its great reading updates from you guys and seeing what great progress you are making. Once you are home and everyone spreads out you will miss your time together.

If you don't get any crafts there I'll get the name of the place we went to in Bogota. It was recommended by a couple of people and was perfect for buying souvenirs.

Anonymous said...

Not a waste of time!!! Philip and I are hooked! We check in with you every morning before he goes to work to see the latest. We are so excited for you and your posts make us feel like we're right there with you. We've definitely laughed and cried with you so far :) Wish we could send a real hug that would squeeze away any loneliness you feel. We miss you tons and can't wait to have ALL of you with us again.
Tons of love,
The Ausfahls

The Wilkens Family said...

I continue to enjoy your blog posts! Thanks for sharing.

NiNi said...

Let the countdown begin.....If you and your family celebrated being there two weeks......you're half way through....We're eager to get you and your family home...Love NiNi and Charles

Anonymous said...

I try to check in daily - keep posting! :) Thank you for blessing all of us readers with your journey. Praying you all sleep well tonight and have a good day tomorrow. Love, Nicole

Anonymous said...

Julie and Karl-
Praise the Lord for His ever abounding love! I have been so blessed by your blog....I run down and check it every morning and every night before I go to bed. How blessed our church is to be growing in such incredible ways!! Praise the Lord! What a joy it is to pray along side you in this!
-The Westbrooks

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys: I just got back from the airport to welcome the Bennetts home! I can't wait until it is you. It will be here before you know it. Maybe our fridged weather will be over before you get here. I bet when you look back on your time in Colombia it will bring sweet memories. Hang in there. Monica

Amy said...

Praying for your family throughout the day.

Hang in there-you are almost home!

mjdav said...

I think you have cabin fever in a warm climate! I know you're looking forward to being home and really enjoying being a family there. Praying that the days ahead will go quickly and you will be back to chill-town before you know it!

Anonymous said...

Gulp! Your daily postings are very much enjoyed and appreciated; you probably realize from my frequent comments that I check in on you every day! I appreciate being able to pray specifically for what is facing you at the time, and praise the Lord for the blessings as well. I also feel like I know Anji, Claudia and Andres now from your wonderful descriptions of their unique personalities. I am SO excited to welcome them home in person in a couple weeks! Even Solomon knows them by name and is meeting his new friends through your postings and pictures. Thank you for taking the time to document your amazing journey and give testimony to what the Lord is doing in your lives!

Steve Hornbrook said...

Hi KJAC&A!

We are back from Uganda, and a little more able to catch up, although we checked on you a couple of times while there. Thank you for the pictures and the text, it helps so much to pray more specifically. Our group prayed for you last night at BBC.

I am looking forward to meeting these gorgeous children in person soon!

Que Dios les bendiga a todos y les queremos mucho,
Tio Esteban

Anonymous said...

Julie - you are so totally NOT wasting your time! I've been out here reading every weekday. I've loved reading every word of your adventure and looking at your pics - I just don't always have something witty to say (and I guess it's too hard for me to make a serious comment . . . what an excuse huh? :-) ! ) keep posting and I'll try and do better! I love you and am praying for you!

Teresa

Anonymous said...

I know others have said the same thing but since we haven't posted its about time...
Becky and I check your blog every morning to know how to pray and keep you in mind througout the day. The pictures are fantastic and you all look very blessed. We're thrilled that God has so perfectly answered much prayer with a time of stregthening and refreshing as well as allies in the transition. We love you very much and look forward to meeting your new family soon. Please keep the up blogging; you've addicted too many people! Continually praying, Chuck

........................

........................

........................

........................