Monday, January 14, 2008

Adventures In Cali

Buenos Noches

It has been an adventurous day to say the least. We flew to Cali via Avianca Airlines, were picked up, and then had to jam all our luggage into a very small car and navigate through the streets of extremely carefree drivers. We are at our B&B and are getting a whole new cultural experience. The B&B family keeps saying it is muy importante to speak in Spanish...and it is really hard to communicate. Karl just finished unpacking. Our room is two twin beds :) and then a bunkbed and a floor level trundle bed. It is pretty compact. The bright side is that the kids will think that the bedroom they´ll share at home is gigantic after all five of us share this one! We are trying to adjust to the many differences and lack of things we are used to at home. Karl has been giving me many pep-talks - he´s such a sweetheart.

One of the highlights of the day was our lawyer coming by tonight to meet us and go over the agenda. She started off by saying that the children know all about us and have been going through our photo pages (which she said were so nice) and that tomorrow they will be transported from a small town about an hour or two away and we will meet around 2 pm. We were really encouraged to hear that the children did indeed know about us and that was the highlight of our exhausting day. Around 8:30, she will come to get us so we can have some notarizing done and then we will come back here to gear up for our first meeting with the children. J

Oiga! Me llamo es Karlos en Cali. Hablo español muy mal para ellos seem comprehendar me :) We are both road weary now and will be sure to get rest tonight. Thank you so very much for your thoughtful comments and prayers. We really appreciate the encouragement and knowing that you are eagerly awaiting a report on tomorrow - soon you will know. Keep in touch! Ciao. K

19 comments:

Beth said...

Glad to see you are doing well. We will be praying for you as your journey begins to unfold tmw. God Bless, Beth (CHI Family Member)

Wendi and Benjamin Wood said...

Oh! Yea! I know what you said Karl! I'm trying to learn spanish...so I won't tell those who don't know, but let them keep guessing!!!

Yea! We have been praying for you guys in the chat room tonight!! You will have an awesome day tomorrow!

There are many things you will learn to live without for the next 3-4 months, but in that time, you will learn more about yourselves and your children, and most of all God's provision! Sleep well, big day tomorrow! Can't wait for more posts!

janine said...

Oh, Julie and Karl, my many thoughts and prayers are with you! All of the uneasiness will melt away tomorrow when you see those three precious little faces! (and don't worry if any of them cry . . . our little Juancho cried at first, being separated from his foster mom, but in no time he was sitting in my lap, blowing bubbles, playing with cars).

I am SO EXCITED for you! I should actually say "we" because Shirley loves to look at the picture of your cuties (and your bird!) when I am on the computer!

MUCH LOVE your way!
janine

Adelman said...

Felicidades y muchos abrazos para la familia Armstrong. Que momentos tan especiales para su familia. Que dios los bendiga. Gracias por compartir estos mometos tan especiales con nosotros....

ciao,
Debi
(Tu amiga en el grupo CHI)

Sherri said...

So glad you're there. I will confess to you that my first day there I wanted to go home (this was before I got Isaac!) or at least get him and go home. I didn't like it, I even had to ask God to forgive my bad attitude. It took a couple days, but I liked it much more. Now I'd go there tomorrow if I could! I am praying for you Mami y Papi, this is so exciting to watch it all unfold. Many blessings on you tonight!

Love in Jesus,
Sherri

Laura S said...

So excited for you guys!! Will be thinking about you this afternoon. ICBF does a great job in preparing the kids for their new parents so I am not at all suprised they have been reviewing the photo pages. They probably have memorized everyone in them by now!

dj said...

Know that your Bethany family is praying for you! We are so excited for you as you meet your precious children today. Thanks for sharing the journey with us through your posts. Much love to all 5 of you! Craig and Debbie Jo

Dan and Karen said...

Just do the best you can with the Spanish. While it is important to use as much as you know, it will be ok when you need to use English with them. Don't worry - it will be fine. Praying for you today.

Lisa said...

We are glad to hear that you're almost in touch with your children. It's very exciting! Love, TR (& Parker)

We'll be praying for you today (especially this afternoon). We know God will give you exactly what you need when you need it! love you, The Hoffman's

David and Sheila Derr said...

It is about noon in Colombia! Only 2 hours to go, Mami y Papi!!!!! We are praying for you, Karl & Julie! God's guidance and provision has been a part of your adoption journey so far, and He will most surely continue to be!

Looking forward to hearing all about this big day and the days that will soon follow!

Much Love,
David & Sheila Derr
CHI Family Members

Anonymous said...

Karl, keep up those pep talks!! If all else fails, bring out the big guns (those darling puppets!!)... they have a soothing effect on others (remember the night you had me giggling over their actions/antics!).... I love you & this special family!!

Whitney said...

10:30am here, 11:30am there (I think) so you are probably with your darling kiddos now!! Lord willing, all of the waiting is over!

I am praying for amazing grace in your communication and open hearts in the children. Love you all!!

Beth said...

just wanted you to know i had set aside some time around 2 to pray for you both and your kiddos. I am anxious to check the blog tonight for an update. I am so happy for you both. Wow, big day today, congrats agian. Beth

Anonymous said...

Looking for a current post! :-)) I'm sooo excited!!! Love, Mom

Amy said...

Hello to all of the Armstrongs!

You will cherish this day always. Praising our Great God for bringing you all together.

The Lord will knit your wonderful family together.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you just now as I'm sure you are with your sweet children - that communication would go well and bonding too! Have fun today! Can't wait to hear an update. :)

Genece said...

We are eagerly waiting with great anticipation to see how your day unfolded!! We remember how much the Lord prepared us for our initial meeting with our children, and feel certain God has done the same for you! Can't wait to hear all about the great memories you've made & are now making! Welcome to the world of perpetual excitement children just naturally bring! Parenthood -- what a blessed gift from God! ENJOY!

With Love, Genece & Rick

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about you all and praying for you throughout the day. Can't wait to hear how things went today. :)

Nicole

Anonymous said...

We are so excited to hear about your Gotcha Day tomorrow. I know it will be difficult but TRY to get some rest tonight as tomorrow you will be MOMMY & DADDY. We can't wait to see the pictures.

Deanna (Angelica's mommy - CHI)

........................

........................

........................

........................