Saturday, January 19, 2008

Day 5 Together: Muy Bien!

This morning, we woke up and after breakfast had to rush off to the piscina (pool). Rush off? Yes, our driver/host's sister was overly ready to go . . . It was like a 3-ring circus with Mami & Papi trying to gather water bottles, snacks, swim suits, cameras, diaper bag, etc, etc! The kids were content playing, but were super excited to go swimming so they kept yelling for Mami & Papi to hurry up. While gathering up all the goodies, Mami calmly muttered to herself about having to be responsible and how that takes time and that we can't just fly out the door in an instant :) Then all of a sudden: silence. Well, driver/host's sister had rounded up the kids and put them in the car and they were pulled out of the garage in the driveway waiting for us . . . talk about pressure! The kids were cooking in the backseat! Anyway, we made it out of here and only forgot TOWELS! The pool was pretty nice. This kiddie pool was smaller but deeper than the one we used the other day. Papi and Andres played in the nearby playground while Mami and girls splashed around in the pool. It was fun.

Also, I am covered in bug bites of various shapes and sizes and all of them itch REALLY bad. I am in trouble with Karl for itching but frankly when I scratch them until they bleed, the pain is more tolerable than the itching. Yes, we bought Calydryl and I've lathered it on myself (legs, ankles, feet, toes) and it doesn't help much if at all. Can someone send us a giant bug bomb? Last night, I went to the bathroom and had an encounter with Charlie the giant unmentionable (CR); he was HUGE and smoking a pipe with a velour robe on! I hollered for Karl and he thought he was a giant "cricket" at first but then he squeezed into a tiny spot and was sensitive to light so we figured out what he was. I went to get Reyna/host for spray, help, anything and all she did was shrug her shoulders, said she was sorry and that this is the tropics so that's normal here. Anyway, please pray for my bug issues! J

The afternoon was spent at Armstrong HQ, Colombia - eating, napping, playing, putting puzzles together, and simply enjoying the day. We are having a great time and only needed a couple lessons in sharing today (we'll see how the lessons worked tomorrow).

Tonight before we laid the girls down to sleep we read an English/Spanish children’s Bible, a friend gave us, to them - they really seemed to like it and therefore didn't want to go to bed...hmmmm. Mami said that we would read it again tomorrow which produced the desired result - little girls in bed with all of there prized possessions (dolls, bears, tiny tabbed blankets). Mami gave them these cuddle blankets today and all 3 children really liked the blankets.

One last thing - Andres ate extremely well today!!! He ate everything in sight at supper and kept asking for more. Mami gave him the "Big Eater Award" and took many photos of him. He also played much more with the girls again today.

Each day the children open up a little more and we are enjoying it so much. Yes, there are bumps and sibling disagreements and pouting and disagreement with the decisions of Mami and Papi - but all is well and we are seeing God's abundant grace overflow!

More tomorrow from Armstrong HQ - Colombia ;) K

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bless you for posting another update. I am so enjoying hearing about your days. :) Praying that you have a blessed Lord's Day together tomorrow. So much to praise Him for! Love to you all,
Nicole

Anonymous said...

I feel joyful over your loving family progress! (please see my e-mail re: bugs!) ;-) Stay strong in the Lord, we are all praying for you!

Laura S said...

Couple of things...try Vicks Vapor Rub on the sores. It sounds weird I know...but it may help. Also you might want to go to a Dr. I picked up a parasite when I was in Medellin that itched like crazy! I know exactly how you feel. You know you shouldn't itch but its the only relief you feel, even if its just for a few seconds.

They recommended the Vicks and a medication that the Dr will prescribe. Also Allegra which you may be able to get over the counter. Much stronger than the Benedryl that I took with me although if you have some take 2-3 Benedryl at a time. Its safe up to 4 is what I was told.

Good luck!
Laura

Sherri said...

Oh Julie, those bug stories are making me itch! I was forunate enough not to get bit, but others who did said they were like welts. I will be praying that you can find relief!

Your kids sound great, I'm glad Andres is eating better! Isaac did the same thing, very little, and then full on! He has since normalized :). And every kid I came across being adopted had constipation issues (this too shall "pass" :)). I think this is getting too graphic, sorry!

I'm enjoying the pictures and Cali sounds crazier than Bogota even. Enjoy it b/c the US can be boring in comparison. We'll keep praying. Enjoy your beautiful family!

Love,
Sherri

Amy said...

We look forward to your news each day. Sounds like things are going well. Hang in there with the bugs! ;)

Daniel used some of your family pictures in the middle of his sermon this morning -what fun!!

Whitney said...

I loved the Andres peek-a-boo pics! You can tell he is growing more comfortable. Praise God!

I got horrible bites in Guat...so I am totally sympathizing! Maybe a meat tenderizer paste?

Praying for strength and wisdom for you all!

........................

........................

........................

........................