Sunday, January 20, 2008

Sunday S.O.S.

It has been a rough day :( Not horrible, just really, really frustrating. Little Anji has been disobedient and very pouty off & on and it has been really discouraging to new Mami & Papi. The other kids have been pretty good but Anji has been bad on & off all day - putting up a stink at little things when she doesn't think she is getting her way & even at times that don't make any sense to us (like if we tell the girls to share, instead of getting mad at each other, they'll get mad at us or if I want to use the "wrong" scrunchi on Anji's hair - etc, etc.) We are so tired and Anji is really getting bad about nap and bed time - and keeps her sister up too. That's when the two of us need to rest - and we are all in one room. Also, Karl has had a fever today and is not feeling well. Honestly, we are both having a hard time here in this town and in our hot, non-air conditioned, amenity-less "B&B" and are really not liking it and can hardly imagine additional weeks of this. We really miss home and English speakers and fellow Believers. Please pray for me and Karl - we are so very grateful. Hopefully tomorrow will prove to be a better day.

19 comments:

Amy said...

Karl and Julie,

We will be praying for all of you. It must be difficult to be away from home for so long a time. Praying that Karl would feel better quickly.

We will especially pray for sleep for all of you. I have always thought that when I am sleeping well I am better able to handle things in my day better.

Hang in there with Anji, as you have so many emotions right now she also is trying to put things in perspective in her young mind. You both know this, but it is OKAY for you to correct her and train her.

May you feel peace that comes from being in the place where the Lord has directed you to go. Though it isn't always easy, the Lord is faithful to complete His good work in you.

Lifting you all to the Lord,
Ken and Amy

Genece said...

Julie and Karl,
Oh how I feel for your situation as it is so closely resembles some of the same struggles we endured while in Colombia... but I could not imagine going it without air conditioning. (And somehow we lucked out and bypassed the giant spiders and the bugs too!) You just don't know how many times while we were there that the walls seemed to be closing in on us and as time went on how many arguments ensued between Rick and myself out of sheer frustration alone. Keep your focus on God and He'll guide you through! I will pray for much rest to restore your health and renew your spirit. I will be praying for the Lord's calming comfort to embrace your little ones also. Hang in there and keep the faith!
Believing in God's Grace,
Genece

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for you guys, that Karl will be feeling better and that the kids will respond correctly to your instructions. I'm sure they are trying to establish who is in charge and how this family thing works. It must be so much harder to only have the one room to deal with everything. You guys are doing a great job, I can tell by your accounts of each day and the pictures you post. Praying you have a good day tomorrow and can get some rest as well.

Anonymous said...

Dear Karl & Julie,

May the Lord sustain you through these difficulties. I am praying for you. Praying tomorrow is a better day.

I thought of you all so much today as we watched the video for the Adoption Ministry today - how God has moved you two and blessed you with these three children. And blessed them with godly parents.

Nicole


Psalm 55:22 Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall.

Isaiah 40:28-31 Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Karl & Julie:

We read your note and Janet and I immediately prayed. We hope Karl is feeling much better and that the kids are adjusting much more. We eagerly await further news. Your friends and brethren.

Rob and Janet Sagona
Carriere, MS

mjdav said...

Karl and Julie...with God's help all things are possible. Your family is still adjusting to each other. Conflicts are inevitable.

..."My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made pefect in weakness..."
2 Cor 12:9

Upholding your family in prayer and asking that joy come in the morning!

David and Sheila Derr said...

Karly & Julie,

Praying that, as parents, you find rest and healing in a time of little sleep and sickness. Praying also that God would give you clarity of vision and wisdom in dealing with each situation that arises with your children, and that you would also be encouraged through the words of friends and family afar.

We are also praying for your children, that they would know God's peace and care in all the transitions that have occurred and are occurring in their young lives...that they would be able to grieve and rest where these two are much needed, and that God would provide the tools you need as parents to help them through these more challenging and complicated moments.

Much Love,
David & Sheila

Anonymous said...

Julie & Karl,

I can understand your discouragement. I am praying for you right now, that the Lord would meet your needs spiritually, emotionally, and physically as you are feeling drained. I am praying for your spirits to be lifted, and for a deep sense of knowing that God is near even when you are far from home. Praying for rest, for a good night sleep for everyone, for healing for Karl, and for clarity and patience as you parent on those frustrating days.

Lamentations 3:22-23, “Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness."

Isaiah 58:11 "The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail."

Praying that you will be strengthened and encouraged in the Lord!

Love,
Lisa

Wendi and Benjamin Wood said...

Julie and Karl, I have a computer bug at home and haven't been able to check in with your blog! I have the number of the family in Cali, who are english speaking and they also have two daughters, I believe 4 or 5, and 2 or 3? Anyways, I have their number at home; I can get it for you if you'd like. They are believers; they do speak both spanish and english and they may could help pass time away while in Cali by doing things with you...Again, this is the adopted son of Steve Hill who is an evangelist, who actually led the Brownsville Revival in Pensacola Fl several years back...The husband is Colombian, and the wife is white american. Anyways, when Ben and I met this couple, they were very helpful. Ben had lunch with him before we went to Colombia, and Milton (the guy) told him about some things that we could expect --like no a/c! no hot water! (that was the one I hated the most!) What areas were dangerous, to stay in the city, etc., etc.

Anyways, I will get that info for you, and just post it on the blog, and you can do whatever you want with it...I know it may would be awkward, but they are really nice people...I can ask them to just stop in at your B & B to just meet you if you have reservations...just let me know...otherwise, I will just leave their number with you, and tell them you may or may not call them...

AND...Anji, is oldest, right? Same stuff happened with Andrew, age 5. I think it is a "testing of the waters"-so to speak. Plus, I believe, in Colombia, kids rule the house at times and are given what they want...you may see that at the refugio, if they begin to throw a temper tantrum. Staff will sometimes give them what they want...

BUT, it gets better!!! The children are going thru so many changes right now, and I'm sure it's scary, and this is part of how they act those feelings out...just keep on loving them, and know that God is smiling down on you and Karl; He will give you the strength and wisdom in how to deal with all of these things! (PS, Andrew is far closer to Ben now than ever before...consistency and structure is so vital! And yes!-Put those kiddos in bed at 730-8pm, you are right, that is your time! You and your husband need that time! Totally agree with you there!)

God bless you...

Anonymous said...

Karl and Julie,
Thank you so much for sharing so we know exactly how to be praying. Also, I have learned it is a better witness to be open and vulnerable as a mom so people know we don't have it all together, but that I do have a source that I go to that holds me up and gets us through. The kids can learn a mighty lesson as well watching you rely on the Lord. We hurt for you both and the struggles. Can't wait to give huge hugs when you get back. You asked about sending a bug bomb. Can we really send you a package? If so, let us know your address. Sierra would have fun with that. Love you guys!
Philip and Charisa

Jenny said...

Karl and Julie-
You have been in my thoughts and prayers and this morning the Lord even put you in my mind while I was waking before I even read this. Hold onto Jesus and His promises in this difficult time - I am certain that things will improve greatly day by day and especially when you are in your own home environment.
Love,
Jenny

Anonymous said...

You will have struggels and challenges everyday...maybe months or years to come. God will give you the patience and wisdom to deal with the problems.
May God bless you and your family always.

Jill Phillips said...

Karl & Julie,

Thanks for sharing your burdens with us. May these familiar words from home bring you comfort today:

"The LORD bless you, and keep you;
the LORD make His face shine on you, and be gracious to you;
The LORD lift up His countenance on you, and give you peace." Numbers 6:24-27

Now the God of peace, who brought up from the dead the great Shepherd of the sheep through the blood of the eternal covenant, even Jesus our Lord, equip you in every good thing to do His will, working in us that which is pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be the glory forever and ever. Amen.
Hebrews 13:20-21

Blessings,
The Phillips

Whitney said...

Praying for you all as you begin this parenting marathon. Specifically, that you would have wisdom and strength to deal with each situation, and peace as you are anxious to be home. Hang in there, the Lord will sustain you!

Unknown said...

Hello guys, I'm sorry to hear you had a rough day. Also not surprised. Any major transition you undertake is challenging. Sometimes it might seem like it gets worse before it gets better(I know it did for us). Remember you are not on the journey alone. God brought you here and He will never leave your side. Also, you have your church family that loves you and is praying for you. It always encouraged me to remember who the enemy is. Who is the only one that does not want this to work out for these children. When I would remember that I relied on God even more to get me through. Give yourself grace and time. They say that when you give birth to a baby it is a minimum of 8 weeks to establish a routine. You have THREE! Remember who planted the seed for adoption and brought you to this point. There are no mistakes and you are the best parents for these children. GOD SAID SO! Hang in there. We are praying. Monica

John, Patty, Tiffany & Brian said...

Julie and Karl,
We will be praying for you all. We hope Karl gets to feeling better and you both get some sleep. Your children are so beautiful. Thank you for letting us follow your journey. YOu will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

You have received great spiritual advice. So, I won't add more. But, here is some practical advice.

Most 5 year olds do not take naps and most do not like to be treated like a younger sibling. May I recommend that one of you spend some alone time with Anji when the other 2 are sleeping. Make her feel special and more like a big girl. I think it will help her realize that she hasn't lost her place as the big sister and give you some needed one on one time with her. You can also have one of you take her for a walk outside while the other two go to bed. It will help her feel important and older.

This worked with our 6 year old when adopting a 2 year old.

Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there guys! We love you and are praying for you! There's a reason for these struggles, and I pray you not get too discouraged as your work your way through them. "But we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And our hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us." Romans 5:4,5
You are an inspiration to ALL of us!! We greatly look forward to your return home!!!

God bless, Chris Larson

Sherri said...

What wonderful friends, no wonder you miss them! If you are there crying in front of the comment screen, I have been there. I will pray for you guys because a lot of this experience is so hard. But it does get better, and God has His hand on you. There are good days and not so good ones, and prayer is the best thing and look at all the people praying! I will pray God will give you a token for good. God bless all five of you, may you have good sleep tonight, and remember that God's mercies are new every morning!

Love,
Sherri

........................

........................

........................

........................