Well, the BAD news is that Karl and I slept really, really bad but the GOOD news is that it wasn't because of the kids!!! :) The past couple of nights we have been laying down at the same time hoping that would help minimize the kids' desire to be up & about. So, the kids went down pretty easily last night but Karl had a pesky, tickling cough that kept him up and I had the world's most torturous itchy feet! Although each of us was tired, we slept terrible and were up off and on all night long. So, we were not able to go to Church today but will aim for next week again.
But a really neat thing is that in the midst of trying to get all the kids bathed, a couple came into our B&B and are going to stay here!!! They are a really sweet couple who are adopting two twin (almost 2 year old) girls & they are from Switzerland and speak English (also 1st time parents)!!! So, they will come to stay here tomorrow & also meet their girls tomorrow. I was already excited but even more encouraged when the wife asked me if that was my book in the other room - Praying the Scriptures for Your Children - and told me that they too are Believers!!! They seemed as excited as I was that we were here. So, despite the fact that we had to give up our second room that we had all our luggage and extra stuff in, we are thrilled that such a special family will be joining us here! I think them being here will make the time more enjoyable for us and for the kids. So, Karl and I spent naptime corralling our stuff and then need to next find a creative way to incorporate all those items into our current room.
I wanted to give a really good report over here - we are seeing some real progress with Anji trusting us more and obeying much more willingly and we are really encouraged about that. It has been noticeable and consistent. We are seeing much more of a tenderness in her and are so thankful! Praise the Lord!
We have been doing some cute things together that Mami & Papi initiated and the kids really like & keep doing! For instance, giving each other the thumbs up, saying "Wow" or "Familia Armstrong" and lots of other really adorable stuff. We are having many sweet moments together!
12 comments:
That is SO GREAT that you have new "friends" at the B & B! It will be so nice for the kids (and you!) for the kids to have playmates! That is very cool!
Today is our one-year anniversary of flying to Bogota! Tuesday is our "gotcha day" anniversary! I can hardly believe it! After we looked at your pictures, Shirley wanted to look at ours from a year ago. I can't believe how much the kids have grown and how different they look!
It is very exciting to follow your journey. I'm glad Anji is softening. You are a beautiful family and it brightens my day to see your smiles!!
With LOVE!
janine
What a beautiful visual of your family, picturing the 'thumbs up' and the creative antics that are becoming part of your family's special communication. We have lots of those too!
What a joy to have this lovely Christian couple, soon to be a family, joining you... and what a blessing from the Lord. I'm sure you will be a mutual encouragement to each other!
I'm praising Him over Anyi's progress with obedience and trust. It is wonderful to hear that God is working on her heart and she is softening in her response to you. Even as there may still be ups and downs, remember this progress and be encouraged that she is learning.
Tonight I will pray for the Lord to calm Karl's cough and your itchy feet, and that you will both have a night free from discomfort.
Love you all,
Lisa
I love to read about how the Lord is providing for you. I think having some friends/fellow believers to share the adventure with will really be encouraging. Also, check out the Bennetts blog. Its so exciting. Just think about what all God has done in such a short time. We miss you and keep praying for you. Monica
Sounds like you are making marked improvement. Thats such great news!
Any word on whether you have a fast or slow court? Typically you get some sort of feedback from the lawyers or others that are familiar with the situation.
3 Pointer for Team Armstrong!!!
I am so amazed, Julie, how well you & Karl have done throughout this entire trip. Yes, I realize we have not witnessed the worst of times you have described to us, but the Lord has done amazing things in the two of you as new parents. You sound like you are handling so many of the situations & trying times with such grace and perseverance, which can only come from the Lord. To see in such a short time, the progress that the children are making too is a miracle! You will have ups & downs for the rest of your life as parents; that is life. But, just think about the progress you now see in them and what that progress will look like 6 months from now. You will be in awe over what our gracious heavenly Father has done in your family! He loves you all! Keep looking up and know he is there in your midst!
In our prayers,
Chuck & Becky
How great for the Lord to send you family in Christ to share in the experience with you!
Praying that you can be a great encouragement to each other!
We will continue to pray for all of you.
Love you guys! Now that we're all in Latin America, we can't wait to see you in Peoria again!
Praise God for bringing believers to your B&B to fellowship with - God is so good! :)
Praying you all sleep well tonight. I'm glad you're seeing progress in the kids and how the Lord is giving you two the wisdom to teach, train, and love on them. :)
Go "Familia Armstrong"!! It is so encouraging to hear that Anyi is softening - praise God! How incredible that the Lord brought another believing family to you - you will be such a blessing to THEM, I'm sure. Lots of love! Jenny
I am feeling quite sad reading the words "obey" and "train" in your blog and in the comments. These precious children have only been in your company for days and you are expecting WAY too much. Please read on. It's obvious that you want your family to be healthy and happy, but I'm afraid of some of the techniques you are using your goal setting so soon.
Sincerely,
An adoptive parent
You should be there for THEM - they OWE you NOTHING at this point. Please put them first and allow them to adjust in THEIR time, not in YOUR planned time. These gifts from God need to feel safe and by taking away their comfort items "dolls, bears, etc" is taking away something of themself.
Please, I beg of you, please seek family therapy/counseling when you return home - and not from some one with your religious beliefs, who will just confirm your same beleifs - seek out a therapist who is experienced in internationally adopted OLDER children who will guide you in raising these beautiful children. They deserve that respect and commitment. You OWE it to them, and you owe it to GOD.
I am sorry to say this, but from your writings, you may break these childrens' spirits. Children are not property - they are gifts to be cherished and supported. Yes, rules are important, but you are teetering a fine line expecting such rigidity so quickly.
God gives our children to us to care for, nurture, and teach just for a little while. It is a tremendous and honorable responsibility. There is no perfect way to parent and mistakes are inevitable. The best instruction book/counselor is the Word of the Lord. As long as you are following what God has impressed upon you to do that is the right way. You're doing a wonderful job with the three precious children God has already entrusted to you. Setting the ground rules early will help them learn the love you have for them by teaching them boundaries and what is expected. May each day bring all of you closer to the Lord. Love and prayers, Jan
Post a Comment