Tuesday, September 2, 2008

School, School & More School

We went to Wally World today in search of a new backpack for Claudia & insulated lunch bags for school. Despite how terribly picked over everything was: mission accomplished! We found a backpack that Claudia loved and Mami approved of and cute little Dora lunch bags.

We have been buying school lunches for Anji which we are realizing (duh!) is a bit expensive for the food that the kids are getting and maybe not eating... We didn't qualify for any sort of discount so the girls' meals are full price. Anyway, we have been debating about what to do about this matter - keep buying the lunches or send the girls with a lunch from home. So now I am armed with our insulated little lunch sacks but am wondering what in the world I will send in their lunches every day?!?

Tomorrow is the orientation for Claudia's Pre-K program and so I will go to that along with Claudia and Andres when we take Anji to school.

Soon, we will drive back to the school for a brief meeting and then pick up Anji and then drive to have the car issues looked at by our regular car place (while me & the kids wait). I hope they have encouraging news than the alignment place...

"Calgon, take me away!"

5 comments:

Jenn said...

I bet you'll be much happier packing lunches for the girls. I bought lunches for Kyle when he was younger until I realized that there was ZERO accountability in what he actually purchased with his lunch account and the cafeteria monitors were allowing him (in Kindergarten or 1st grade, can't remember which) to select cookies and chips for his lunch and not actually get the "healthy" lunch offered. Now both my kids get a lunch packed from home and I don't expect that to change when we get home from Colombia. At least I know what they're eating this way! Love the new picture, by the way!

Jaime said...

Julie,
Just when you think you have control over what they are eating by packing lunches, they start trading!!! At least that's what Ali's up to these days... Oh well, what fun to be a kid!
Hope the school year goes well!!! I sure love all your pics. I am a big fan of LFA!!!
In Christ,
Jaime

Anonymous said...

So you're suffering from the school lunch dilemma. Unfortunately, that doesn't end even in high school! (except they cost more then!) We have a rule that they must pack lunches at least three times a week and can choose two to eat at school based on the menu. We make sandwiches in advance and freeze them. Then we are able to pull them out that morning and they unfreeze by lunchtime. We also pack baggies with snack crackers, carrots, fruit, etc. Of course, convenience containers that are sold are a convenience, but more expensive. You can also take a container of those and pack them into snack size portions in advance. Makes for packing the lunch that morning a little easier. Hope that advice helps!

The new pics are so cute! :o)

Kris

mjdav said...

Karl and Julie...that is the most precious picture of your family. Praising God with you for the way He put your family together!

Tim and Judy Herrera said...

Julie,

We pack lunches and do pretty well. We had problems with trading, but just told the kids that if they wanted to share a taste, that would be okay, but their lunch is their lunch! We pack a sandwich, fruit and either chips or dessert. Some kids might need more :) We pack pbj or lunchmeat, for fruit we pack bananas, small containers of applesauce or other fruit, apples. For chips, we don pretzels or chips of all sorts. Dessert can be anything from animal crackers, granola bars or cookies. We have the little ice packs to keep things cool. Good luck - I hope this is helpful!

Judy

........................

........................

........................

........................