Wednesday, December 5, 2007

The "Gift"

Sorry to leave you hanging so long! Okay, so we left off with me prancing to the front of the room like a princess ready to open her new jewels. I was so thrilled to unveil my treasure . . . "what could it be?" I wondered. With such a spiffy bag, it certainly must be something crafty or cutesy for the home. It was definitely crafty. I start gently pulling the pieces of tissue paper out one by one and was surprised to see that they were taking up most of the space in the large bag. After the papers were removed there was just one item in the bottom of the bag rolled up in tissue paper. "Socks?" I wondered. I pushed on it and it was soft and it looked like a long roll . . . " or maybe a heated wrap?" So, it was time to see what this was and I pulled the last tissue paper to unroll the "gift". . . shocking me so much that I let out a scream, jumped backwards and knocked the bag forward when to my horror . . . a realistic looking arm rolled out! "An arm?!?" you ask. Yes an arm. You know, the type you see when you're driving down the road and some sick puppy has one dangling out of their trunk. Yeah, that's the kind! The huge hand looked real. As everyone was doubled over with laughter, I wondered what demented person in our SS class would bring a gift like this!?! Someone with real issues! Everyone else was unwrapping little potholders, candle sets, tins of candy . . . and I get the creepy Halloween arm?!? Well, I did find out that the arm had showed up at the past two parties and I was just the lucky one to get it this year. Believe it or not, a couple "stole" the arm "gift" from us and we were delighted beyond words to be able to open a new gift! I opened it and it was a Starbucks gift set - Wow! It was nice! But someone stole that out of our hands leaving us with the option to then "steal" or open another new gift. Karl whispered to me, "Get the chickens!" and so we happily "stole" a set of old, concrete chickens: a momma hen & 3 chicks from another couple who looked quite relieved to hand them over to us! So, I am now the proud owner of a set of concrete chickens that need painted, refurbished and have some repair done to their beaks but overjoyed nonetheless!!! The End!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! I would have reacted the same exact way if I opened a pretty package only to find an ARM! That's SO funny!

What did you and Karl give??

Laura S said...

That is hilarious. Dirty Santa parties are always so much fun. Good luck on your efforts to check things off your lists!

........................

........................

........................

........................